(a). Barraquer’s Spring action Micro Needle holder
(b). Conjuntival scissor / corneal scissor / section enlarging scissor
(c). Vannas’ spring action scissor
(a). Barraquer’s Spring action Micro Needle holder :
- straight or curved tips,
- with or without locking system.
- The jaws of the needle holder are finely serrated to hold the fine needles firmly viz of 7-0, 8-0, 9-0 & 10-0 sutures.
- Holding needle for suturing
- Cornea :keratoplasty, Corneal tear repair surgery
- Sclera : cataract surgery (SICS tunnel, if leaking/ pre mature entry) trabeculectomy
- Limbus : cataract surgery (ECCE)
- Extraocular muscles : squint surgery
(b). Conjuntival scissor / corneal scissor / section enlarging scissor:
- fine curved scissors.
- Their cutting blades are kept apart by spring action.
- Universal: can be used for both sides – Corneal scissors are different for two sides – right & left curved. (usually not kept for table viva)
- It is larger than Vannas’ scissor as seen in fig.
- to enlarge corneal or corneoscleral incision for cataract surgery(ICCE / ECCE).
- To enlarge corneal incision in keratoplasty operation.
- To cut the scleral and trabecular tissue in trabeculectomy.
(c). Vannas spring action scissors:
- small cutting blades kept apart by spring action.
- The blades may be straight or curved.
- It is smallest scissor; smaller than corneal scissors.
- These are used for cutting anterior capsule of the lens in extracapsular surgery.
- For cutting 10-0 nylon sutures.
- For cutting inner sclera flap in trabeculectomy.
- For doing pupillary sphincterotomy.
- For performing iridectomy.
- For cutting pupillary membrane.
- For cutting vitreous strands in anterior chamber when vitreous comes in AC due to posterior capsular rent in cataract surgery.