α AGONIST (SYMPATHOMIMETICS):
- Clonidine (0.12% & 0.25%)
- Apraclonidine (0.5%)
- Brimonidine (0.2%):[NEURO PROTECTIVE]
Mechanism Of Action :
α receptor stimulation
increased aqueous outflow
stimulation of α receptor in ciliary body
reduced aqueous humor production
selective α2 agonist
decreased aqueous production & increased uveoscleral outflow
Duration of Action: 12 hours
- Used in glaucoma if not controlled with β blockers
- After Nd:YAG laser iridotomy – increased pigment dispersion – raised IOP – α agonist are given
- Laser trabeculoplasty & post capsulotomy.
SIDE EFFECTS :
- SYSTEMIC : Hypertension, tachycardia, headache, palpitation, tremors, nervousness & anxiety.
- LOCAL : burning sensation, conjunctival hyperemia, conjunctival pigmentation, allergic blepharo conjunctivitis, mydriasis, cystoids macular edema.